Thursday 19 August 2010

Of Witches and Warlocks: The Demon Kiss - Lacey Weatherford

Of Witches and Warlocks: The Demon Kiss is the second book in the series by Lacey Weatherford and is 246 pages long.

Plot
Portia Mullins has not long known that she is a witch and is now part of a quite powerful coven. Bad boy Vance Magnum was also a member of the coven and Portia’s boyfriend until his past came back to haunt him. After sacrificing herself to save Vance’s life, she wakes up to find him gone with only a note to explain what he is planning to do. After the binding spell that they performed, forever linking them to each other, Portia is in extreme pain without Vance and knows that she must go and find him, not caring about what might be in store for her on the way.

Vance has gone off in search of his demon father, Damien, who has completely ruined his life by plotting to convert him over to the dark side. Portia, Shelly and Brad manage to track him down and convince him that he can’t do it alone. Joining forces with the coven, Portia and Vance plan to take down Damien before he can cause any more harm but things are so much more complicated than anticipated. Portia and Vance’s relationship is on the line and neither is willing to budge when it comes to protecting the other.

What I thought
As soon as I had finished The Trouble with Spells, I instantly picked up this book. I was so happy that I had the sequel waiting because I wouldn’t have wanted to be made to wait to find out what was going to happen next. If possible, The Demon Kiss was much more addictive.

Portia really grows a lot in this instalment of the series. I loved her in the first book and The Demon Kiss didn’t do anything to change that. If anything, I ended up loving her more. Although she is still able to show how much she cares for Vance and those around her, she also shows a completely different side. Portia has grown into an extremely strong main female character due to the outcomes of ‘The Trouble with Spells’. I really enjoyed how she wasn’t about to let Vance get away with what he did and took it upon herself to go and sort things out. This only intensified the passion in their relationship because Portia wasn’t afraid to show that she would go to any length to save what she had with Vance.

Just when I thought Vance couldn’t get any hotter, he does. The passion and chemistry between him and Portia was outstanding throughout and I could really feel what they were. There is so much that I don’t know about Vance and that is part of the attraction. There was always the thoughts in the back of my mind that he could be truly evil, even though that isn’t how he is portrayed. Due to how the first book ended, anything could have happened with Vance and it’s the not knowing that makes him so interesting. Bad boys are supposed to be surrounded by mystery and Vance certainly has that going for him. I loved that I got to see some new sides to Vance’s character that I wasn’t expecting. I knew from the first book that he truly loved Portia and felt so much for her but this is expanded upon a lot more this time around which resulted in my sighing lovingly so many times because he was so adorable.

Portia’s best friend, Shelly, and her boyfriend Brad get a much bigger role in this book which was fantastic to see. We saw glimpses of them both in ‘The Trouble with Spells’ and I really wanted to find out more about them. Shelly and Brad brought a lot of humour to the book, especially when it came to voicing their opinions on Portia and Vance’s relationship and how they acted around other people. Not only are these two characters funny but they are brave and prepared to do anything to help their friends. I guess I wouldn’t say no to a road trip to Mexico either though.

The fact that we see quite a few different settings made this book exciting and fast paced. There never seemed to be much time where something wasn’t happening, even when the characters are stuck in one place for quite a long amount of time. Each time the story moved to a different location, the characters found new and scary situations to deal with and I liked seeing how everyone coped in different ways.

There is a lot of mystery surrounding Vance’s Dad (Damien) and what he is really up to and I was glad to see that nothing was fully revealed until fairly far into the story. I was kept guessing about his intentions throughout and could never really tell what was going to happen. It was also interesting to see how Damien’s actions were going to affect everyone else in the book and what the bigger picture was. As a villain, Damien really freaked me out. If he was my boyfriends’ Dad, I would probably run for miles.

Lacey Weatherford has totally upped her game with this amazing sequel. The romance, the action and the mystery are all upped a couple of notches, making The Demon Kiss a thoroughly enjoyable book. Enjoyable isn’t a strong enough word really though because I was even more in love with it as I was with The Trouble with Spells. With the third book in the series being released in a few months, I imagine things are only going to get a whole lot more exciting.



 
Find out more about this amazing series at the Official Of Witches and Warlocks website

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like an interesting series. I'll be keeping this one in mind.

SusanKMann said...

I could not put this book down. It was such an emmotional rollercoaster. x

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels